As we all know Neo Geo is the home of video games where you find numerous exciting games to play. It is a legendary system that has lots of legendary games released for it. Those who love Neo Geo console are demanding the best Neo Geo games to play in 2022. Therefore, we set a long research process and finalized the 20 trending games in Neo Geo.
So, you can find these games in today’s modern consoles and play them with updated graphics and more fluid gameplay. SNK also released Neo Geo Mini, which includes most of the best games ever released for their system, such as the ones you will find on this article. Most importantly, we tried to find games with different genres so that you can easily find the most suitable one for yourself.
Top 20 Neo Geo Games – Best in 2022
For choosing the best game from our list according to your favorite genre, you need to read the complete review of each option. It will help you know what features are provided in the game and what’s the purpose of the game.
The King of Fighters ’98 – Best Neo Geo Game 2022
The King of Fighters ‘98 is one of the most popular and most favorite King of Fighters game in the series. It is the fifth installment in the King of Fighters series, and you can find this game in various consoles since its initial release for the Neo Geo in 1998. It is a fighting game that features various characters from various backgrounds with their own special fighting styles and special attacks.
- The playable characters are available in different teams, such as Hero Team, Fatal Fury Team, Art of Fighting Team, Ikari Warriors Team, and many others.
- You can play iconic characters like Kyo Kusanagi, Terry Bogard, Yuri Sakazaki, and more.
- There are also mid-boss and primary boss that you can fight in this game.
- This game also offers special characters called Special Edit Teams, such as SNK Heroes Team, Shingo Team, Sacred Treasures Team, and more.
- Alternative versions of the characters in this game are also available, such as Alternate Orochi Team, Kyo Kusanagi KoF ‘95 version, Andy Bogard Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 version, and more.
Metal Slug 3 – Popular Neo Geo Game
Metal Slug 3 is the third installment of the popular run and gun video game series Metal Slug, which is the last title produced by SNK before the company went bankrupt. This third installment has various improvements when compared to the two previous titles, and as usual, it also has some kind of humor included in the gameplay.
- It features story missions that have branching paths for you to explore in each mission.
- With the branching paths in each mission, you can replay this game over and over to find unique experiences in each playthrough.
- You can use different weapons and ride different vehicles during the gameplay.
- You can play in 5 different stages with a big boss to defeat in each stage.
- It still has the same platformer and run-and-gun gameplay elements, just like the two previous installments.
Fatal Fury Special – Best Neo Geo Arcade Games
Fatal Fury Special is the improved version of Fatal Fury 2 released for Neo Geo system in 1993. With this enhancement, you can find various improvements and additions to the game and enjoy the best version of Fatal Fury 2. There are many playable characters that are not available in Fatal Fury 2, including the additional bosses. This is the fighting game that gained its popularity from the arcades, but later ported to various consoles.
- This game adds a new character, Ryo Sakazaki, which is the character coming from the Art of Fighting series.
- Some bosses are available to play, which are Geese Howard and Wolfgang Krauer.
- Returning characters from Fatal Fury 2 are available, such as Terry Bogard, Andy Bogard, Joe Higashi, and more.
- It features new stages you can choose, such as Bay Area, Hebei, Osaka, and South Town.
- The game is available for the first time in 1993 for the Neo Geo system, and later ported to MS Windows, PS4, Neo Geo Mini, Xbox One, Switch, and more.
Samurai Shodown II – Neo Geo Fighting Game
Samurai Shodown II is SNK’s second installment in the Samurai Shodown series, which is a fighting game that features various Samurai characters. This second installment is much more popular than the first game in the series, and it is the one that helped this fighting game series to become well known around the world. Various new and returning characters are available to play in this game.
- You can play some returning characters from the original, such as Haohmaru, Nakoruru, Ukyo Tachibana, and more.
- There are also new characters available to play, such as Genjuro Kibagami, Cham Cham, Neinhalt Sieger, and Nicotine Caffeine.
- Hikyaku is available as NPC character in this game.
- The game features the gameplay elements and various improvements that make it better than the first installment.
- The story still follows the story from the first game, with many new casts added from the first game.
The Last Blade 2
The Last Blade 2 is the latest installment for the Last Blade series, and this game concludes the story in this series. In japan, The Last Blade series has another name, called the Bakumatsu Roman series, and it is quite a popular game series released by SNK. It was available for the Neo Geo system in 1999.
- The Last Blade 2 is the last installment in the Last Blade series, although SNK still hoped to continue the series further.
- It features various returning and new characters you can play.
- New characters include Mukuro, Hibiki Takane, Setsuna, and Kaori Sanada.
- There are also some hidden characters you can unlock in this game, such as Original Kaede, Hagure Hitogata, Kotetsu Naoe, and Kouryu.
- For the version released for the Dreamcast and Neo Geo CD, you can play an exclusive character Musashi Akatsuki.
Neo Bomberman – Top-Rated Neo Geo Games
Neo Bomberman is a Bomberman game developed for Neo Geo Arcade system released in 1997 worldwide. In this game, you will need to defeat the enemies by exploding bombs in various places. Sometimes, you need to trap them before bombing them. Also, when you bomb the walls, you might get items that can enhance your character’s strength, skill, or power.
- You can play this game in 5 different stages, with each stage offering unique challenges for you to defeat your enemies.
- Various characters are available for you to play, including White Bomberman, Black Bomberman, Honey, Hayate Bomber, and many more.
- In Battle Mode, you can play in 4 different stages with various characters to choose from.
- There are also mechanical and biological enemy characters that you can ride throughout the game to help you defeat your enemies.
- Some rideable characters include Dokyuun, Gaikottsu, Dachon, Mr. Bird, and more.
Last Resort Neo Geo Game
Last Resort is a popular shoot ‘em up game released for the arcades by SNK in 1992. In the same year, SNK also released this game for the Neo Geo system in Japan and North America. Today, it is available on various platforms, including the modern consoles like PS4, Xbox One, and Switch.
- The game itself has a similar gameplay as R-Type with its pod-attaching system.
- It features the Neo-Tokyo world in 2990 AD as the stage you can play first in this game.
- The game tells a story about the need for the future humans for space emigration, and the need for them to gain the New Land in space.
- You can play this game in two-player mode with different fighters for your ship.
- There are minor enemies you need to defeat throughout the stages and the bosses you need to defeat at the end of each stage.
Puzzle Bobble is a puzzle game that is the spin-off of the popular Bubble Bobble series. In the US, Puzzle Bobble uses the title Bust-A-Move. In this game, you will shoot bubbles and match their colors. Every 3-color match, you will pop the bubbles. As the bubbles keep on coming, you must pop them before they reach you.
- The game was first released in 1994 for the Arcade Neo Geo system.
- You can play as two characters called Bob and Bub.
- There are also many characters that will appear throughout the stages, including the boss you need to defeat for each stage.
- There are some special bubbles that give you some advantages in this game, such as Thunder, Water, and Fire bubbles.
- It is the first title from the Bust-A-Move series which is available for various consoles today, including the modern consoles, as digital releases.
Twinkle Star Sprites – Best Neo Geo Game Series
Twinkle Star Sprites is a unique game that combines various gameplay elements, such as scrolling shooter and puzzle. This game was first released for the Neo Geo Arcade in 1996, but later it was available for the Neo Geo CD system in Japan. You will play as Load Ran that is trying to save the world by seeking for the legendary artifact called the Twinkle Star.
- It is a fun scrolling shooter game that allows you to shoot enemies as you move forward and collect power-ups to improve your shooting powers.
- You can release normal attacks and charged up attacks to destroy your enemies throughout the stages.
- You will have 5 life points at the start of the game, which you will lose if you’re getting shot by the enemies.
- Various characters are available in this game, such as Arthur Schmitt, Dark Ran, Griffon, Kim, and many others.
- You can counter the attacks from your opponents by using the power-ups you get throughout the stage.
Windjammers – Best Game on Neo Geo
Windjammers is a unique flying disc sport game that combines the elements from different games, such as volleyball, handball, and Pong. The game was first released for the arcades in 1994 and then released for the Neo Geo system in the same year. In this game, you can play in two player mode against each other in this unique sports game.
- You will play against your opponents in the flying disc sport match, which requires you to score goals by throwing the disc to your opponent’s goal post.
- You can play as various characters that represent various countries, such as H. Mita from Japan, B. Yoo from South Korea, and J. Costa from Spain.
- Also, you can choose from among six different courts to play your game, such as Beach, Lawn, Tiled, and more.
- You can perform the special move, allowing your character to throw the disc with more power.
Shock Troopers – Arcade Game
Shock Troopers is a run and gun shooter game released for the Neo Geo Arcade in 1997, which later made available in Neo Geo Mini in 2018. In this game, you can shoot in 8 different directions while trying to run through your enemy attacks. Just like any other games in this genre, you will need to defeat the boss at the end of each stage.
- There are 6 stages you can go through in this game, featuring various weapons and power-ups you can get throughout the way.
- While the first few stages offer you a linear path, you can choose a different path when you reach a certain stage.
- There are various characters you can play in this game with their own special weapon to use.
- The characters you can play include Jackal, Milky, Loki, Southern Cross, and others.
- The special weapons you can use include Grenade, Napalm, Explosive Shell, Boomerang, Rocket Launcher, and more.
Blazing Star – Neo Geo Shoot ’em up Game
Blazing Star is a Neo Geo game that belongs to the scrolling shooter genre. This game was available for the first time in 1998. It is the game that tells a story about the planetary war happened in the long past between two big factions. The gameplay has some similarities as the R-Type game series. However, it has its own uniqueness in the gameplay.
- You can shoot the enemies using normal shots and special shots depending on the power-ups you use.
- You can find power-ups scattered throughout the stage and use them to shoot more powerful and unique shots.
- There are several types of shot you can use, such as Normal Shot, Charged Shot, Rapid Shot, and Break Attacks.
- There are 6 different ships you can use in this game, each with their own advantages and special attacks.
- You can also play through 6 different stages and 1 last stage to complete the game.
Waku Waku 7 – Top-Rated Neo Geo Arcade Game
Waku Waku 7 is a fighting game that tells a story about the 7 legendary Waku Waku balls that can grant all wishes for those who collect them. This fighting game also features various characters you can play. This is the game that was available for the Neo Geo system in 1996, which later ported for various other systems.
- Just like any other fighting games, you can play as various characters and use various stages as your battle ground.
- You can also defeat the bosses in this game, such as Bonus-kun and Fernandez.
- The characters you can play are Rai, Arina, Marurun, Politank Z, Dandy-J, Tesse, and Slash.
- Each character has their own fighting styles and special moves, and they also carry a certain parody for other game characters.
- The game has 7 characters as the title suggests, and it has the storyline that you can follow.
Aero Fighters 2
Aero Fighters 2 is the English title for the popular Japanese game Sonic Wings 2, which belongs to the vertical-scrolling shoot ‘em up genre. This is the second installment in the Sonic Wings series, with additional features and improvements added from its predecessor. In this game, you can choose from among 8 unique characters with different ships that have their own special abilities.
- This game was first released for the Neo Geo Arcade system in 1994.
- The story still continues the story in the first game, and it tells the story about 8 international pilots that carry the mission to destroy alien enemies.
- The storytelling itself has its own humorous side, and the graphics are better when compared to the first game.
- You will need to defeat the bosses you encounter throughout the stages in order to complete this game.
- Aside from the Arcade system, this game is also available for the Neo Geo home console system as cartridges and CD.
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Garou: Mark of the Wolves is the game that belongs to the Fatal Fury series, which is a popular fighting game series released for the Neo Geo system. Furthermore, Garou is the eighth installment in the series, and it is also the last game in the series. The game tells a story about 10 years after the death of Geese Howard.
- The game was available for the Neo Geo Arcade in 1999 and the Neo Geo home system in 2000.
- It has the best graphics when compared to the previous games in the series, as it is trying to push the graphical capabilities of the Neo Geo system.
- You can find various new characters to play in this game, such as Rock Howard, B. Jenet, Kim Dong Hwan, and more.
- There are also various stages that you can play in this game, such as Live House Old Line, The Freight Express, Oriental Casino Woo, and more.
- Terry Bogard is available as the returning character in this game.
Neo Turf Masters – Best Neo Geo Video Games
Neo Turf Masters is a golf game released for the Neo Geo system in 1996 that features 3 single player modes and 1 versus mode. It was first released for the Japan market only, and the first international version of this game was available for the Neo Geo Pocket Color in 1999.
- You can choose from among six different golfers in this game, each with their own special skills.
- The courses available for this game are USA, Australia, Japan, and Germany.
- Different golfers possess unique skills that can give you various advantages during the game.
- The game features quite an advanced graphic for the Neo Geo system, with digitized sprites and realistic-style art.
- The Neo Geo Pocket Color version features less advanced graphics when compared to the original Neo Geo version because of its hardware limitations.
Pulstar Neo Geo Video Game
Pulstar is a Neo Geo shoot ‘em up game that was the prequel of the similar game called Blazing Star. This game was available in 1995 for the Neo Geo system, and it takes place in the year 2248. It allows you to use your ship to combat alien attacks that threaten humanity.
- In this game, you will need to progress through the levels by destroying your enemies along the way.
- You can collect various power-up items to enhance your space ship and add more power to it.
- You will need to go through 7 different stages with 1 last stage to beat the last boss.
- There are pre-rendered movies and cut scenes that you can enjoy throughout the game.
- You can play this game in the single player mode.
Money Puzzle Exchanger
Money Puzzle Exchanger is an arcade puzzle game for Neo Geo Arcade system that features cute girls as its primary characters. It was first released for the Japan market only, but later on, it is available for modern systems for the US and worldwide markets. It features a unique puzzle gameplay.
- The puzzle gameplay involves matching coins with the same value to create a higher value coin by doing so.
- You can play in different game modes, such as Vs COM, Solo Play, and 1P vs 2P modes.
- Various cute characters are available to choose in this game, including Sakura Mitsukoshi, Asahi Takashima, Franc Luluna, and more.
- For this game, the coins are different based on the game region you play.
- People often compare this game to Magical Drop for its similarity in the gameplay.
Spin Master – Neo Geo Arcade Game
Spin Master is a unique platformer adventure game released for the Arcade and Neo Geo system in 1993. This game features the yo-yo as your primary weapon when you begin your mission. Throughout the game, you can find other weapons you can use to defeat your enemies along the way.
- The game has similar graphics and gameplay elements as Joe & Mac, which is the game released by the same developer.
- You will need to deal with the main villain called Mad Doctor in this game.
- You can attack the enemies with the normal attack or charged attack with your weapon.
- Also, you can release the special attack that kills all enemies on screen.
- There is a two-player mode that allows you to play this game together with your friend.
Mutation Nation is a beat ‘em up game for the Arcade and Neo Geo system released in 1992. It tells the story in the year 2050 where the nation becomes mutated by the genetic virus because of a bizarre biological experiment. You will play as the fighter that will carry the mission to clean up the nation from this mess.
- You will deal and fight with various mutated enemies throughout this game.
- There are six stages you can complete in this game, with the boss for each stage that you need to defeat.
- You can pick up elemental spheres throughout your adventure to give you special attacks to kill your enemies.
- The elemental spheres you can find in this game are Light, Fire, Wind, and Lightning.
- You can choose between Ricky and Johnny as your character, and you can choose to play in single player or two player mode.
Final Thoughts on Best Neo Geo Games
So, these are the best Neo Geo games that you can play to have unlimited fun on a regular basis. The good thing about these games is that you don’t need to purchase an old Neo Geo hardware to play them, as they are already available in most modern systems as digital releases. So, you can just purchase the games for the system you are playing today. Or, you can also use a Neo Geo emulator to play them. Another option is to pick up a Neo Geo Mini that features most of these games you can play right away.